No matter what type of learner you are, there is something out there for everyone. You can choose to dive into a textbook, review digital flashcards through an app, watch videos and go through modules, or take practice quizzes and exams. And don’t forget about using each other for support. There are many ABA-related online communities via social media where like-minded students and professionals get together to share tips, advice, and can study together.
There are many study aids available for applied behavior analysis students that can help them prepare for their certification exams. By making use of these aids and the various tools that some of them provide, students can review the material they will encounter on their exams and will be better prepared when the big day comes.
These are just a few of the best study aids for ABA students:
- Applied Behavior Analysis by John Cooper
- Brainscape: Learn Behavior Analysis
- Online Study Groups
- Behavior Analysis Blogs
- Pass the Big Exam
1. Applied Behavior Analysis by John Cooper
On Goodreads, Applied Behavior Analysis has hundreds of ratings with almost a 5-star average.
Here are two useful reviews of the textbook:
- This is the ABA bible… seriously, I may actually buy a new one since I use it to reference so often. Must have for a behavior analyst or anyone else in the field that wants to learn and understand more about behavior analysis.
- This well written book is famous as “The White Book” by the hundreds who have benefited by studying it and applying the principles and practices the authors describe. A must read for those who want to know about or practice applied behavior analysis.
Applied Behavior Analysis by John Cooper is a must for someone who wants to dive into more of an academic read.
2. Brainscape: Learn Behavior Analysis
Brainscape maintains several decks of cards that students can browse through that include such topics as principles of everyday behavior analysis, experimental analysis of behavior, and ethics for behavior analysis.
This app is free, yet there are upgrades you can purchase to gain more features.
Here are at least 450 applied behavior analysis flashcards you can utilize now.
Here are two useful reviews of Brainscape:
- This is, as of today, the best product out there. I am very much excited about what new features are coming down the road. As I am sure there are many. Oh yah, and the new app is so beautiful, it gets me confused why they don’t offer Pulitzers for this kind of innovation.
- I will do anything for my grades and success in life, and Brainscape proved to me that I’m even willing to pay for a subscription to help me study! Definitely recommend! Even if you’re not planning on buying the Pro.
Overall, Brainscape is an excellent app for applied behavior analysis students that they can use anywhere at any time that is convenient for them.
3. Online Study Groups
It’s a private group, eliminating distractions from anyone who isn’t serious about their ABA therapy certification, and there are more than 45,000 members, giving you a broad spectrum of expertise and ideas to tap into for your own studies.
Not only will you find many students like yourself who are still in their ABA therapy certification programs, but also many experienced BCBAs who have already been through the process. Some of the mock exams that are posted in the group give the paid alternatives a solid run for their money!
A huge benefit is that there is no cost to joining other than your own moral obligation to pitch in and help the next generation meet their own ABA therapy certification requirements.
4. Behavior Analysis Blogs
Study aids provided on the site include ABA practice quizzes, flashcards, a forum where students can talk to other ABA students, informational blogs, and a list of ABA resources that can prove to be valuable to applied behavior analysis majors.
There are various other ABA-related blogs out there as well.
How to ABA is another valuable resource for students of ABA, educators, analysts already in the field, and even for parents. The site offers free materials, a podcast, and even a book club. There are professional development and training opportunities through the site, and visitors can also read up on ABA-related topics on their informative blog.
Another popular choice is the blog called I Love ABA.
This site is unique, colorful, engaging, and helpful. The creators offer “practice tips, simple strategies, and free resources.” Learn all about what it’s like to have a career in applied behavior analysis, as well as gain new BCBA tips from others who have been there.
ABA Works is made up of a team of clinical professionals and BCBAs who want to share their wealth of knowledge and experience with others.
Their mission statement includes the following:
- ABA Works’ mission is to empower and enhance individuals’ lives from infancy through adulthood.
- We strengthen the role of parents.
- ABA Works adheres to ethics and clinical standards and provides staff members with exceptional support.
- ABA Works is passionate about creating a positive change in people.
They offer conferences, free resources and study materials, the ability to get 40 hours of RBT training, career opportunities, and much more.
5. Pass the Big Exam
Their objectives are:
- To ensure students receive a comprehensive ABA Education/BCBA® Exam Preparation to fill any gaps created by their ABA coursework
- To create an organized, systematic, and multi-modal process to be effective for all types of learners/studiers
- To create a fun learning experience, with stimulus salience guiding knowledge acquisition
The website includes study manuals, mock exams, the “Big Exam Prep Workshop,” lecture series, and task lists.
Here are two useful testimonials from Pass the Big Exam:
- After hours of crying tears of joy, I just want to let you know that I PASSED!!! Your program taught me and pushed me and restored my confidence after previous failures. Thank you. Thank you for the work that you do to support others. I am truly grateful.
- I PASSED THE BIG ABA EXAM, and I want to thank Dana and Priya so much as they both helped me on my road to success. I felt well-prepared, comfortable, and confident when I walked in to take my exam. I’ll recommend the program to anyone who asks (or doesn’t ask).
Pass the Big Exam is a comprehensive and convenient site for ABA students to use, and it has been proven to be effective time and time again.
Study Aids for Applied Behavior Analysis Students: Conclusion
Graduates of ABA programs and students who are preparing to complete their programs will need to complete the Applied Behavior Analysis exam before they can become certified.
If you are in this situation, don’t fret! There are plentiful free and low-cost resources out there for you and your applied behavior analysis friends to use to increase your chance of success.
Be sure to check out the five study aids listed above to see if they work for you.
Master of Education (M.Ed.) | Northeastern State University
Behavior and Learning Disorders | Georgia State University
Updated November 2021